How To Register For Tax Identification Number (TIN) Online In Ghana.
The Simple Guide To Apply For Tax Identification Number (TIN) Online In Ghana.
In every country, there are tax payers and Ghana is not exceptional to this — as each and every citizen will be required to get a Tax Identification Number (TIN) for making transactions.
We shall be taking you through some of the things one needs to be qualified to apply for a Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Ghana.
What Is TIN?
Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is a unique Identification number issued to taxpayers and potential taxpayers.
In Ghana, Tax Identification Number (TIN) is a combination of alphabet and numbers making it eleven (11) characters used as tracking by the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA). eg. P003794xxx
The Tax Identification Number (TIN) comes with receipt after registration which is a “Certificate of Registration” that certifies that one has been duly registered as a taxpayer under the Taxpayers Identification Numbering System Act 2002 (ACT 632) in Ghana.
In U.S, a Tax Identification Number (TIN) is a nine-digit number used as a tracking number by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and is required information on all tax returns filed with the IRS.
Uses Of TIN In Ghana
- For clearing of goods from the Port.
- For the registration of land titles, interest in land or any related document.
- For obtaining a business certificate — to start business.
- For registering Identity cards; Ghana Card, Ghana Passport etc.
- For opening Bank accounts
- For obtaining any Tax Clearance Certificate from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Custom Excise and Preventive Service or the Value Added Tax Service
Who is Eligible To Apply For TIN In Ghana?
From Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), Tax Identification Number can be acquired by anyone that;
- Intends to Register A Business/Company at the Registrar-Generals Department
- Wishes to register a title or any other documentation from any port or factory.
- Requires a Tax Clearance Certificate
- Requires A Permit From District Assembly
- Wishes to clear goods in commercial quantities from the port.
- Wishes to receive payments from the Controller and Accountant-General Department
Requirements To Apply For Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Ghana
Before you can apply for a Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Ghana, you need the following documents to apply;
- First & Last Name
- E-mail Address
- Date Of Birth
- Street Address/Area
Any of the following identity documents;
You may need a scanned coloured photocopy of any of the following valid identity document (PDF, JPG, JPEG, GIF and not more than 1MB file size) to verify.
- Voter’s ID
- Valid Driver’s License : Read here about how to apply for Driver’s License online in Ghana
- Valid Ghana Passport
- National Identification Card (Ghana Card): Read more here on how to apply for Ghana card online in 2020
- Then, make a coloured photocopy of the ID used.
For companies willing to register for Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Ghana, you will need documents such as:
- Certificate of Incorporation,
- Commencement Certificate,
- Partnership certificate,
- External Company Letter
How To Apply For Tax Identification Number (TIN) Online In Ghana
You can complete a simple form online “Online TIN Form”. If your registration is successful, you will then get an email from GRA. GRA will tell you by SMS when your certificate is ready. You will then need to collect your certificate from your local Domestic Tax Revenue Division Office.
STEPS TO REGISTER FOR TIN ONLINE IN GHANA
- Using Google chrome or any web browser, visit the GRA Online portal Access
- Follow the instructions and fill in the necessary User credentials ie; Username and Password and a valid email provided click on Register
- Upon successful registration, a message will pop-up directing you to a link sent to email provided.
- Access your email and click on the link to confirm
- Per the message from the mail, a message pops up informing you that the online account has been activated.
- Move back to the Homepage and log in to Register with the Username and Password created during the registration process
- Upon log-in follow the instructions and click on start
- This will lead to a section where you select ” Tin Registration Service ” and then click on “Register Tin”
- This takes you to the Tin Registration Stage 1 – ID VALIDATION
- Upon successful validation of ID, it takes you to “Tin Registration Stage 2″ – Tin Registration Details
- Follow instructions to complete registration process
Other ways to get your TIN
You can also go to any GRA;
Domestic Tax Revenue Division office to complete a paper TIN form. GRA will tell you by SMS when your certificate is ready. You’ll need to collect your certificate from your Domestic Tax Revenue Division office.
How to Verify Your Tax Identification Number (TIN) Online
With the online access to Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), a Ghanaian citizen that has applied and get his or her Tax Identification Number (TIN) can check and verify for this TIN online — using the GRA online access portal.
- Visit the web portal, GRA Verify TIN
- Enter your Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- Press Enter to search for verification
- It will then display the TIN Search Request Results for you
How to contact Ghana Revenue Authority for TIN in Ghana
Getting a TIN is free. You must get it if you should be paying tax. It is an offence if you don’t.
You can contact Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) via;
- Phone: +233 (0) 302 904545 or +233 (0) 302 904546
- Email: [email protected]
- WhatsApp: 0200631664 or 0552990000.
You’re free to help spread this information across the various social media platforms, and recommend to friends also. Follow us on social media pages on; Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest, YouTube & Google.