How To Apply For Birth Certificate Online In Ghana
I believe you are looking for how you can apply for a birth certificate with an ease, and this article covers much you can rely on — for How To Apply For Birth Certificate With Online Registration In Ghana.
The Government of Ghana with digitization agenda has helped in rolling out online application services for some processes in Ghana.
With this, there was an introduction of paperless at the Ghana Ports & Habour, the Ghana Passport application online and get it delivered within some few days, applying for other services online, and today’s post is about how you can apply for a birth certificate online in Ghana and get it within the shortest possible days.
What Is Birth Certificate?
According to Wikipedia, a birth certificate is a vital record that documents the birth of a person. The term “birth certificate” can refer to either the original document certifying the circumstances of the birth or to a certified copy of or representation of the ensuing registration of that birth. Depending on the jurisdiction, a record of birth might or might not contain verification of the event by such as a midwife or doctor.
Births and Deaths Registry was established in Ghana by the Act 301 of 1965, within the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, to handle and develop the births and deaths registration system in Ghana. To talk about the legislation in force in Ghana, then it’s the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of 1965 (Act 301)
How Was Birth Certificate Application In Ghana Before?
Before, applying for a birth certificate in Ghana used to be a kind of tedious process until the Government of Ghana introduced the e-service payment system, whereby citizens of Ghana can apply for a biometric birth certificate and make payment online.
Is The Old Method For Applying Birth Certificate Currently Working In Ghana?
Yes, the old method for applying birth certificate is working in Ghana. You just have to visit any authorized births and deaths registry to register.
Price For Birth Certificate In Ghana
If you have been wondering how much is the Ghana birth certificate (Online Application), then Birth certificate in Ghana costs GHS 50 and takes a minimum of two weeks to be ready.
What Are The Documents You Need Before Applying For A Biometric Birth Certificate in Ghana
Just like applying for a Ghana travelling passport, there is the need to verify your identity — to check and be sure you’re the right person.
In order to do these, you will have to scan some documents and upload them somewhere in the process. These documents are:
- Your Baptismal Certificate
- Clinical Weighing/Notification of birth card
- Old Birth Certificate
- An affidavit from one of the parents (only minors – those below 18 years)
How To Apply For Ghana Birth Certificate Online
Do you want to apply for Ghana Biometric Birth Certificate online? Then, in this article, I will walk you through how you can apply for a birth certificate online and all the procedures involved in applying for Ghana biometric Birth Certificate online.
- Visit the E-Services Ghana official website at eservices.gov.gh
- On the top-left side of the eServices Page Click on BDR – Apply for Birth Certificate.
- On the next page, Read the option that says new users must register to have full access to the portal online services using the Register link. Click the Register link
- On the next page, you will be met with a form. It contains questions that you will need to fill. Fill the form as accurately as possible. Some of the required fields on the form are:
- First Names
- Last Names
- Age Group
- Country of Residence
- Mobile Number
- Primary Email Address
- Once you have successfully completed the registration, a confirmation will be sent to the email address. For this reason, it is always advisable you use an address that you have access to
- Click on the confirmation link in the email to confirm your eServices Registration
- Next, visit eServices website again and click on Apply for Birth Certificate or BDR tab.
- Read Instructions Carefully and Select New Applicant to begin.
- Carefully fill the forms and Upload Required files you have already scanned.
- Payment options will be made available to you before the entire process can be completed. Use myghpay by GT Bank to make payment on the e-payment platform.
Ghanaians are to keep note that, when applying for a Ghana Passport, either the online application process or the traditional method, you will definitely need a birth certificate — and this alone makes a Birth certificate important in Ghana.
When Do I Need a Birth Certificate?
These are a lot of reasons why someone should apply and get a birth certificate in Ghana. Certified birth certificates are used for a variety of legal purposes, including obtaining travelling passports or
driver’s license (or other forms of government-issued identification). However, there are other
reasons a birth certificate may be necessary.
These are some of the reasons below:
- Identification – Your birth certificate is your first form of identification. It helps to verify your name and correct spellings.
- Registration in a school – You need a birth certificate to apply and be enrolled into Universities in Ghana.
- Obtaining a Travel Passport – You need a birth certificate to apply for a passport. There’s no way you can apply for passport in Ghana
- Proof of age – a birth certificate identifies the date on which a person was born.
- Domestic or international adoption
- Proof of citizenship – Your birth certificate proves that you are a citizen of Ghana
- Marriage — A birth certificate is need for both domestic and international marriage.
Birth Certificate Sample
Births & Deaths Registry Office Location and Contact
If you have any question, information or issues regarding birth certificate or death certificate registration in Ghana, then you can visit any Births and Deaths Registry office nearer to you or visit the head office in Accra using their official address found below:
Birth & Death Registry (Head Office)
Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development
Address: 2nd Liberia Road
P.O. Box M50 Accra
Ghana, West Africa
Telephone: 0302 66 8068 / 4383 / 2871
E-mail: [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions about Biometric Birth Certificate Application in Ghana
How do I get an instant birth certificate?
Birth Certificates in Ghana are not processed instantly. It takes anywhere between 3 days to more than a month to receive your birth certificate.
Where can I get biometric birth certificate in Ghana?
You can apply for the Biometric Birth Certificate online, however, the district and regional birth and death registry delivers faster.
How can I get my birth certificate online for free?
Applying for a birth certificate online is not free. You can follow the steps here to apply for your Ghanaian Birth Certificate.
How much does it cost to get a birth certificate in Ghana?
For either the online biometric birth certificate and the offline procedure, it costs GHS 50 to apply and get your birth certificate.
This is the step by step Online application procedure for a Birth Certificate in Ghana you should follow today in applying for a birth certificate online in Ghana.
You’re free to share this information online if found useful, and do follow us on our various social media platforms as well — for more tech news and updates.