This is the detailed guide on how to apply for admission at University of Cape Town with their online application, courses and addresses.
University of Cape Town (UCT) is situated in the Western Cape Province of South Africa that is a public research university that stands as the oldest institution of higher learning in not just South Africa but Africa as a whole.
University of Cape Town (UCT) was founded in 1829, and the university has over the years remained at the forefront of education thanks to its proud tradition of academic excellence and effecting social change and development through its pioneering scholarship, faculty, and students.
In today’s article, I will like to guide you through how you can apply for University of Cape Town (UCT) online with the step by steps to follow-guide.
With University of Cape Town (UCT), the admission requirements differ depending on what an applicant wants to study as criteria for certificate courses, diplomas, and degrees are not the same.
- Undergraduate Certificate Study: Applicants are to confirm eligibility for admission from the Admissions Office or the faculty concerned.
- Undergraduate Diploma Study: The minimum requirement for admission to undergraduate diploma study is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in 4 recognized NSC 20-credit subjects.
- Bachelor’s Degree Study: To be eligible for admission to study for a bachelor degree, applicants need to meet minimum requirements for eligibility that include holding a South Africa National Senior Certificate (SNC) with a pass on a minimum of 4 subjects as a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better from a designated lists of subjects that included Accounting, Agricultural Sciences, Business Studies, Dramatic Arts, Economics, Engineering Graphics and Design, Geography, History, Consumer Studies, Information Technology, Languages (one language of learning and teaching at a higher education institution and 2 other recognized language subjects), Life Sciences, Mathematics, Mathematical Literacy, Music, Physical Sciences, Religious Studies, Visual Arts.
Applicants holding a South African Senior Certificate need matriculation endorsement while those holding non-South African school-leaving certificates must qualify for a matriculation exemption certificate. More information can be found on the website of the Matriculation Board.
Minimum Language Proficiency
If you are applying for admission at University of Cape Town, you are required to have attained a certain level of proficiency in English. They are further required to submit evidence of this, as outlined below, as part of their application to the university.
- 1. South African Senior Certificate Undergraduate Applicants: South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants must have achieved a pass of 40% or more on the Higher Grade in English (First or second Language) at Senior Certificate level.
- South African National Senior Certificate Undergraduate Applicants: South African National Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants must have achieved a rating of 2 (Elementary Achievement, 30-40%) or better at Home Language or First Additional Language level.
- Applicants with Non-South African School-leaving Certificates: Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates are required to meet University of Cape Town’s language requirements by taking either the IELTS and/or TOEFL exams. Applicants can contact the UCT English Language Centre for more details.
Tip: Application feed into the university are different for South African applicants and those from the Southern African continental region and to others that come from outside those areas. Southern African applicants will get to pay R100 while those applicants from elsewhere will pay R300.
For Master of business administration, those residing in Africa will pay R1100 while those from elsewhere will pay $200 for the application form. The fee is, however, subject to change by the institution.
University of Cape Town Courses
- The University of Cape Town offers more than 70 career-focused courses categorized under various departments in the faculties of the university that include the Centre for Higher Education Development (CHED), Commerce, Engineering & the Built Environment (EBE), Graduate School of Business (GSB), Health Sciences, Humanities, Law, and Science.
Applicants are required to have a prior check for the requirements necessary for each course they wish to take before applying. Students also enjoy the privilege of the taking a series of Lunch-time seminars and programs offered by the Center for African Studies at UCT and those offered by visiting scholars in various faculties.
How To Apply For University Of Cape Town Online
The University of Cape Town is open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students who are looking to enroll in either a part-time or full-time program.
The Application cycle lasts from the 1st of April to the 31st of July every year, however, some faculties have exceptions in regards to postgraduate applicants. Applicants are advised to be sent in early in order to have room to sort out any issues that might come up during the process. The university does not accept late applicants.
To apply for admission at University of Cape Town, you have to visit the university’s online application portal, applyonline.uct.ac.za to submit all the application requirements.
After an application is sent in along with the application form fee, the prospective student is expected to monitor their UCT Application Status on the university’s website.
An application fee must be paid for every application except in the case of most graduates of UCT. Other requirements for online applications include an active email address, a valid ID for South African applicants or a valid passport for international applicants.
Applicants must have registered for the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs). They must also have a certified copy of their grade 11 results and any latest grade 12 results. They are further advised to know and calculate their Admission Points Score (APS). Failure to do all or any of these may result in delays in the application.
UCT Contact Details And Address
Postal Address: University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch 7701, South Africa.
Contact Number and E-mail Addresses:
- Commerce: [email protected] — +27 (0) 21 650 4375, +27 (0) 21 650 4369
- Engineering & the Built Environment: [email protected] — +27 (0) 21 650 2699, +27 (0) 21 650 3782
- Graduate School of Business: [email protected] — +27 (0)21 406 1922, +27 (0) 21 421 5510
- Health Sciences (Undergraduate): [email protected] — +27 (0)21 406 6328, +27 (0) 21 650 3002 (HSF Reception)
- Humanities (Postgraduate): [email protected] — +27 (0) 21 650 2717, +27 (0) 21 686 7469
- Law: [email protected] — +27 (0) 21 650 3086, +27 (0)21 650 5662
- Science: [email protected] — +27 (0) 21 650 2712, +27 (0) 21 650 2710
- Centre for Higher Education Development (CHED): [email protected] — +27 (0) 21 650 2645, +27 (0) 21 650 5045
You can visit students.uct.ac.za/students/contacts for more information.