Google Docs is a popular, sophisticated, and free word processing tool that is easy to use due to its ubiquitous cloud-based accessibility and practical and clean user interface.
The Google Doc outline feature makes it easy for users to navigate long pages by putting all of the important information in one place. Using a Google Doc outline also allows authors to see the “big picture” of a work, making it much easier to organize the material of a long paper.
Throughout this article, we will walk you through how to add elements to the document outline and how to make it work for the best.
How To Create An Outline For Google Doc (Desktop)
- Open your Google Doc and divide your document into sections by using the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
- Each section of your paper should be given a concise yet acceptable header.
- You’ll need to use a header style to add this heading to the outline because it’s in plain text. To highlight a heading, use your pointer.
- Navigate to the menu bar and click the down caret next to “Normal text” while the header is highlighted.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the heading style you want to use for this heading.
- To assign heading styles throughout your document, repeat steps two through five for each heading.
Opening the outline panel
When you open a Google Doc, the outline will show on the left side of the screen. Both writers and reviewers will be able to simply examine and go to each portion of the document in this manner.
- Click View from the top of the menu.
- From the drop-down option, choose “Show document outline.” Your outline will display on the screen’s left side.
How To Create An Outline For A Google Doc (Mobile)
- On your mobile device, open your Google Doc in the Google Docs app.
- To enter Edit Mode, click the pencil symbol.
- Then triple-tap the text you wish to use as a header in the outline.
- On top of your screen tap the “Format” button.
- Tap “Style”.
- To preserve your changes, click the back arrow after selecting a heading style.
Open the outline panel
- Firstly, tap the three dots to open the “More” options menu.
- From the “More” options menu, choose “Document outline.” This document’s outline will show at the bottom of the screen.
Close the outline
Simply press the “X” button on the outline window if you no longer want to see the outline. The outline is no longer visible after the “X” button is pressed.
Follow all the steps in this article to know how to make an outline in Google Docs. Following these steps will guide you to do it with ease.
Thank you for reading from ICT Catalogue as a Tech blog in Ghana. You are free to share this post across the various social media platforms, and also follow us on; Facebook, Google News, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest & YouTube.
You can also visit our friends, Marvydery.com Everything Ghana.