Open Broadcast Software (OBS) Studio is an open-source video streaming software. I will give you detailed information on how to download OBS studio and install it on any operating system.
Streaming is becoming a part of our everyday life these days especially if you are a gamer. Being able to stream requires software that will capture your screen and stream to your platforms. OBS is one of the common software people use for their streaming and screen recording projects.
This streaming software was first released on September 1, 2012, by Hugh “Jim” Bailey and community volunteers on GitHub. It is open-source software so it is completely free and runs on all major operating systems. By major operating systems, I mean Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Why do people use OBS?
The fact that OBS studio is completely free makes it the first choice if you are starting your streaming journey. It is completely free but still provides features that are sold in other similar software as premium.
OBS is easy for complete beginners to use. Even if you have no technical knowledge at all, you can still find your way around this amazing software.
Some of the awesome features that you get to use is streaming directly to your social media platforms using a streaming key. You also get to manage your streaming sources, switch different scenes with transitions, and even record or project your screen as well.
Since the OBS is an open-source project, you get to use all these features for free. You can even modify the source code to your specifications if you have software development knowledge.
How to download OBS
OBS Studio supports all the major operating systems so it is very easy to get a copy no matter the operating system you are using. To download and install, follow the procedure below.
Note that this is specifically for the Windows operating system. If you are using Windows then this is the procedure you should follow
- Visit the OBS download page. >>>> https://obsproject.com/download. You should land on a page similar to the one in the image below.
- Click on the Windows logo to start downloading your software
- After the download has been completed, look through your download folder and double-click on “OBS Studio.exe to start the installation process.
- Follow through the procedure by click on on the next button until you have finished installing the software. After the installation, launch the software and you should see the OBS dashboard similar to the one in the image below.
If you are using Mac OS, then follow the procedure below to download the software for your device.
- Visit the OBS website: https://obsproject.com/download.
- Click on the Mac OS logo and on the next page, select the type of processor your Mac is using to be able to get the best software for your Mac.
- After the download has been completed, simply verify your .dmg file and copy the OBS application to your Application folder.
You can launch the software from the application folder if you are done.
Download OBS for Linux Ubuntu
You can also install OBS for Ubuntu operating systems. To install, you will have to do that from the Ubuntu terminal.
Make sure you have an active internet connection, start your Ubuntu terminal and go through the following commands.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio
sudo apt update
sudo apt install ffmpeg obs-studio
After going through the above commands successfully, you should have your OBS studio installed on your Ubuntu computer.
If you have any questions about the OBS software that you can’t find answers to on this page, simply leave them in the comment section and I will answer them as early as possible.
Yes! OBS Studio is a completely free live streaming and screen recording software for your operating system. It is also Open-source so you can even modify it to your specifications if you have some programming knowledge.
OBS can be downloaded onto any of the major operating systems we have currently. So if you are using operating systems including MacOS, Windows, or Linux, you can download this amazing software.