An all-girls robotics team that is representing Ghana at the World Robotics Competition which was held in Michigan – U.S, came first in the senior division.
From the Methodists Girl’s High School (MEGHIS) at Mamfe Akuapem in the Eastern Region, these girls represented Ghana at the world and won the competition at the 2019 WORLD ROBOFEST Competition in U.S.
Other teams in the competition from U.S, Mexico, South Korea and other countries in the competition, team Acrobot from MEGHIS managed to beat these teams and won the 20th edition of the competition in US.
The team consisting of nine female students that are from Methodist Girl’s High (Mamfe Akuapem) earlier won the preliminary contests in Ghana. This competition in Ghana was held for all the top Senior High Schools in the country.
The annual competition in Ghana is under the name: Robotics Inspired Science Education (RISE), and organized by the Ghana Robotics Academy Foundation that’s founded by Dr. Ashitey Trebi-Olenu.
At the competition held at Michigan, the task given included the making of a bot that can assemble boxes according to a given binary number.
Activities that went on at the World Robofest competition included:
- The Game (Complete robotic missions)
- Exhibition (Show off projects)
- Vision Centric Challenge (Develop robots to solve problems using cameras)
- Unknown Mission Challenge (Surprise missions)
- RoboArts (Robotics music, dance, and arts competition)
- BottleSumo (Pushing bottle or opponents off a table)
- RoboParade (Parade of robots)
- Carnival and
- WISER, a conference on STEM education through robotics.
Before you go: MTN NG Loses 2 Million SUBSCRIBERS In 3 Months
To the awesome performance by these girls at the competition held at Michigan, on behalf of ICT Catalogue as a tech reporting blog in Ghana, Africa and the world at large, we say Congratulations to the girls from MEGHIS for winning the robotics competition.