If you are a fan of smart home devices, then you probably know about the Alexa Echo Show. In this article, we will be looking at how to use Echo Show as security camera.
Echo Show is one of the many Amazon Alexa series. This one comes with a touchscreen display and a front camera for video calls. However, you can use the front camera as a home monitor or security camera.
The Echo Show never came with a home monitor before so you can consider it as a completely new feature for this device.
You might be wondering if this is any different from the drop-in feature of the Echo Show. Of course, it is a completely different feature. The drop-in feature is more of a video call where you can see the person on the other side and the person can also see you on the Echo Show.
With the new home monitoring feature, you can remotely access live feeds from your Echo Show anonymously without anyone noticing. That is the coolest thing you can ever imagine.
How to use Echo Show as security camera
To use Echo Show as security camera, you must first set it up and that is what we will be doing in a while. It is a very simple setting that you have to do on the Echo Show device.
- Simply get to your Echo Show and say “Alexa, Open Settings“. You can also swipe down from the top and tap on “Settings“.
- Click on “Camera” from the list.
- Toggle the button next to “Home Monitoring” and tap on “Continue” from the popup
- Since this is a sensitive setting, you will be asked to verify your account. Tap “Continue” and enter your Amazon account password on the next screen.
- If you have a 2FA on your account, then you will have to verify with a second code to complete the settings.
As soon as you hit the “Done” button, you can officially access your Echo Show home monitoring features remotely.
How to access home monitor remotely
Setting up the home monitor on your Echo Show is the very first step to using that security feature. The next step involves knowing how to access the camera remotely.
- To be able to do that, you have to access your Alexa app from your phone. You can also access Alexa from any device at https://alexa.amazon.com/
- In the Alexa app, tap on “Devices” and select “Cameras“.
- As soon as you tap your Echo Show under cameras, you will receive a live feed from the Echo Show.
No matter where you are, as long as your Echo Show is connected to the internet and your phone is also connected to the internet, you can get a live feed from the Echo Show. You can even pan the room left and right on some Echo Show devices.
If you have wireless CCTV cameras installed around your house, you can also connect them through the Alexa app.
Thank you for reading from ICT Catalogue as a Tech blog in Ghana. You are free to share this post across the various social media platforms, and also follow us on; Facebook, Google News, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest & YouTube.
You can also visit our friends, Marvydery.com Everything Ghana.