How to Password Protect Folder
A Windows computer almost always requires you to be authenticated into your user account before you can view a folder. However, if numerous users share the same account on your computer, such as if you do so with your family, your files become vulnerable to prying eyes.
If you use a password to secure a folder, you will be required to input it in order to view the folder’s list of documents. In a password-protected folder or a folder without password protection, you may also password-protect individual files.
You may encrypt your folders using a variety of programs. Fortunately, Windows has built-in options for password-protecting files.
In this guide, we will show you how to password-protect a folder. To password-protect, a folder in Windows, just follow these simple instructions.
How to Password Protect a Folder in Windows
- Find the folder you wish to password-protect in Windows Explorer, then right-click on it.
- Then select “Properties.”
- Click “Advanced”.
- To protect data, tick the box next to “Encrypt contents” in the Advanced Attributes menu.
- Click “OK”.
- Click “Apply” when you are back in the main window.
- Select “Apply changes to this folder alone” or “Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files” from the “Confirm Attribute Changes” dialog.
- Select “OK”.
- Your file encryption key will be asked to be backed up in a message that will show up. Then select “Backup.”
How to Password Protect Windows Folders with 7-Zip
- Go to the 7-Zip download page and choose the appropriate download option. The 64-bit x64 Windows build is recommended for the majority of users. Once downloaded, execute it after installing it just like any other piece of software.
- Within the main 7-Zip interface, find the folder you want to password-protect, and then click the green plus symbol in the top-left corner of the program. The folder may also be moved across the main 7-Zip interface by dragging and dropping it.
- In order to maintain compatibility with systems without 7-Zip, choose zip from the drop-down menu next to the Archive Format option. In the text boxes on the right side of the window, type and then type again the desired password for the folder.
- After you’re done, click OK to let the tool build a compressed, encrypted copy of the folder you want to password-protect.
- After the password-protected zip file has been produced, check to see if it is functioning properly by attempting to access any of the material it contains. Once you are aware that it is protected, remove the original folder to make it impossible to find.
How to Password Protect Windows with Simple Password Managers
A straightforward and cost-free password manager called Wise Folder Hider can hide two distinct folders to secure your information. When you install and run the software, you will be prompted to set a password. On Windows 10, you may utilize that to password-protect folders.
As an alternative, you might want to try Easy File Locker. You may utilize the buttons above in the main interface to conceal files, folders, and even USB drive information. To make items visible in Windows 10 File Explorer after they have been hidden, click “Open” next to each one. The objects will become concealed once again as soon as you dismiss the Wise Folder Hider window.
In order to set a backup password, you may also click the arrow that is pointing downward next to an item and choose “Set password.” To access these files and folders, other users must enter both the primary and secondary passwords.
How to Password Protect Folders in Windows Using Encryption App
Encrypting and password-protecting your data is the best approach to keep it safe, therefore you’ll need the assistance of encryption software from a third party to accomplish this. There are various encryption programs available, however, the majority of them will encrypt the whole contents of the disk. It might take a while to encrypt and decode a whole disk.
One approach is to make a tiny dedicated drive with the goal of storing all of your sensitive data. VeraCrypt is a fantastic program that will password-protect folders in Windows 10 and encrypt them for this use.
VeraCrypt makes it simple to establish an encrypted volume where you may store your data once it has been installed. To build an encrypted volume, select the Create Volume button from the main interface and adhere to VeraCrypt’s instructions. Most pop-ups only require you to input the drive size and the password you want to use by pressing “Next”.
How to Add Password Protection to Folders in MacOS
- From the Applications folder, choose Disk Utility. Additionally, you can look for it using Spotlight.
- Then open the app.
- Choose File once you’ve launched the app. From the pop-up menu, select New Image, then select Image from Folder.
- The file that requires password security is readily available. Click Choose after selecting it.
- After tagging and naming the folder that needs to be protected, select Read/Write from the Image Format drop-down option.
- Under Encryption, you’ll see another drop-down menu. Consider using 128-bit AES encryption.
- In the blank boxes, enter and double-check your password. Then click Save after choosing.
- When Disk Utility has done creating the password-protected image, it will let you know.
How to Hide a Folder
When a folder or file is hidden in Windows, it is not visible in the directory list until the box labeled Don’t show hidden files, folders, or drives is cleared.
To hide a folder in Windows 7, 8, and 10, follow the steps below;
- Select the file or folder you wish to conceal with a right-click.
- Then select Properties.
- Check Hidden in the Attributes section of the General tab by clicking there.
- Select Apply.
You will need to activate another set if the file or folder is still accessible in the directory.
- Click the File tab in Windows Explorer after opening it.
- Then choose Options, and choose the View tab.
- Under the heading Hidden files and folders, choose Don’t reveal hidden files, folders, or drives.
The ability to password-protect a folder has been removed by Microsoft, but you may still use a password-protected zipped folder or hide files and folders so they don’t show up in the directory list to keep your sensitive information hidden.